An Overview of Slipform Construction Method
Slipform construction method is the method of casting concrete by using a dynamic or moving framework system. This system ensures that the entire formwork keeps moving upwards steadily with respect to the pouring action. This method is known for its stability, especially when larger structures need to be built such as chimneys, silos, towers, etc.
The slipforming method needs continuous monitoring and pouring of the concrete. This technique also relies on the fast cooling and settling properties of concrete.
As the concrete is poured, the main aim should be to achieve smooth, seamless appearance of the structure. Although it is necessary to maintain a continuous action of pouring concrete, as the height of a structure increases, the concrete form may get tapered. Due to this, workers may need to take breaks in concreting processes in order to gradually effect the change in the structure’s form. Workers need to carefully pre-plan these breaks regarding slipform construction, which further needs to be subjected at suitable elevations. This planning depends on the length of the structures diameter or side, height of the structure, quality of concrete used, etc.
Technical and General Factors to be Considered
Few factors that need to be kept in mind before carrying out slipforming processes are:
- Placing and curing of concrete
- Control of settling time for concrete
- Lifting controls
- Changing of parameters like height, diameter length, etc.
- Selection of material
- Training and supervision
- Maintenance activities regarding slipform equipment
Apart from these aspects, there also are some other factors that need to be carefully considered and implemented. Some of these are:
- Setting of several units of steel of suitable size for construction the basic formwork. Dimensions may vary from project to project.
- An inner ring that holds the entire assembly. Depending on the number of slipforming units, the inner ring can be fabricated accordingly.
- Hydraulic jacks which also are used in other situations such as bridge building techniques.
- In order to bear the entire load of the structure, trusses might be needed along with respective platforms. Steel trusses are the best options to use in this scenario. The number of these trusses depends on the weight of the entire system.
- Along with the trusses, it is necessary to set up a concrete lifting platform at the structure’s centre.
- A winch is needed to lift the steel needed for reinforcement of the poured material. This could be set up just outside the main framework.
The above mentioned factors are not the only ones to consider. There also are others such as plumb arrangements, work decks, curing facility, efficient communication system, etc. that need to be properly set up. Last but not the least, maintaining safety while operating the system is extremely important in order to safeguard the lives of workers as well as equipment used.
“The above opinions are purely a reflection of the author’s point of view. They do not reflect the position of Bygging Uddemann.”
Comments are closed